Palmer Scholars - Tacoma, WA 98405
$42,000 - $47,000 a year
Mentor & Communications Manager Job Description
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter using the application on Indeed.
Our Organization: Palmer Scholars is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization committed to supporting underrepresented Pierce County students of color to overcome financial, cultural, and social barriers in their pursuit of higher education. Our vision is for our students to succeed in graduating from college with the essential tools to be catalysts for change, leaders in our community, and become personally empowered. We provide scholarships, mentoring, college readiness training, career preparation, one-on-one guidance, and emotional support to help underrepresented Pierce County students achieve their dreams of a college degree.
Our Mentoring Program: Our Scholars will participate in College Readiness Training for an entire year before they are paired with a Mentor. We pair our Scholars with a trained volunteer adult Mentor in the January of their senior year of high school. Mentoring relationships are structured to last the entirety of the time that the Scholar is still in College (Associates/Bachelor’s Degree), about 4-5 years on average. Mentors and Mentees are trained on how to effectively cultivate and foster their relationship and are required to submit monthly/quarterly check-ins about their relationship.
Position Summary: The Mentor & Communications Manager plays an integral role by managing our Mentoring Program. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Mentor & Communications Manager collaborates with the Program Director on the development and strategic implementation of the Mentoring Program.
Essential Job Functions: Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Training & Events:
• Create and execute all Mentor informational and training sessions.
• Develop and maintain a policy and procedure manual for the mentoring program.
• Create and manage Mentor Socials and Mentor/Mentee group events
• Create and implement Mentor recruitment strategy.
• Foster relationships through outreach and networking with local community-based organizations.
• Prepare recruitment materials including presentations, marketing, and email communications
• Develop and oversee the mentoring program.
• Responsible for Mentor selection, scheduling, recruitment, and training.
• Provide ongoing support and assistance to Mentors and Mentees during the mentoring relationship.
• Completes written and verbal documentation of mentoring services and other required documents in a timely, accurate, and professional manner.
• Provide programmatic, event, and office support to all staff, students, and volunteers
• Attend state and national conferences as budget permits.
• Opportunities to participate in community organization committees and task forces.
• Opportunities to attend local trainings focused around higher education access, mentoring, and marketing.
Communications & Marketing:
• Oversee and execute all communications, marketing, and publications intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan.
• Oversee and execute the development of communications, including the website, electronic newsletters, annual report, and other electronic communications.
• Curate content and increase audience engagement on Palmer Scholars social media channels.
• Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will cultivate and enhance meaningful relations with targeted external audiences, including the Scholars, Mentors, donors, volunteers, the media, public officials, and key influencers.
• Act as a liaison to the Public Relations Committee.
• Proficiently use tools such as Outlook, Excel, Publisher, MailChimp, Word, Adobe Creative Cloud, GradSnapp, Little Green Light, and SharePoint.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• At least two years of professional work experience in a similar or related field.
• Significant experience volunteering or supervising volunteers.
• Demonstrated passion and experience working with diverse populations.
• Exceptionally strong organizational, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
• Experience managing and executing across several communications media.
• Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud.
• Ability to work effectively within a rapidly growing and fast paced organization.
• The ability to work within a small team and individually.Satisfactory completion of background check.
• Bachelor’s Degree in education, sociology, psychology, social work, or a closely related field.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working with communities of color.
• Experience in counseling or social services.Experience as a mentor program coordinator or as a mentor in a structured mentoring program.
• Bilingual in any of the following languages: Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, or Tagalog.
Successful candidates will be able to:
• Demonstrate the ability to be a self-starter who has strong organizational skills, time management, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Support the culturally, racially, linguistically, and economically diverse populations we serve.Cultivate a passion for mentorship and working with youth.
• Embody a professional presence, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Provide a portfolio of works that demonstrates your talents and experience with marketing materials and spreadsheets.
Description and Benefits:
Full-time salaried position with a competitive compensation package. Salary range is $42,000 - $47,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Ability to walk, stand, sit, and view/enter data for long periods of time.
• Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
• Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter using the application on Indeed. Open until filled.
Commitment to Diversity:
The Palmer Scholars family acknowledges and celebrates our similarities and differences as active community members in Pierce County. We are dedicated to promoting agency and equity for our Scholars in their journey of becoming critical learners, community leaders, and global citizens. We value self-worth and the importance of personal development through accountability, leadership, goal planning, empowerment, and community service. At Palmer Scholars, we strive to foster an environment that is open, engaged, equitable and is respectful of all identities based on age, nationality, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and disability. We believe in representing diversity and inclusivity with our Board Members, staff, mentors, volunteers, and Scholars.
Palmer Scholars is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on the basis of race, sex/gender, religion/creed, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, national origin, genetic markers, military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Candidates must have the ability to pass a pre-employment background check through the Tacoma Public School District.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Palmer Scholars has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,000.00 to $47,000.00 /year
• Communications & Marketing: 2 years
• Mentoring or Volunteer Management: 2 years