Play the video to learn more about how you can impact the life of a Palmer Scholar as a mentor
We pair our Scholars with a trained adult mentor in the January of their senior year of high school. Mentors are a crucial part of the support system the Palmer Scholars family offers, and they are vital to each Scholar’s success. We are actively looking for community leaders who would like to volunteer as a Mentor for one of our Scholars.
Who is a Palmer Scholar Mentor?
• At least 21 years old
• Culturally aware / Dedicated to equity and inclusion
• Attained or is close to attaining a post-secondary degree (extensive knowledge of higher education or experience working with students as they complete higher education may substitute)
• Resides in Pierce County (or surrounding areas)
• Excited about working with young people
• Dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments
• Has a clean criminal history
What does a Palmer Scholar Mentor do?
• Provides advocacy, resources and support
• Helps a Scholar navigate higher education
• Connects a Scholar with networking, career, and information
• Holds a Scholar accountable
• Cultivates and foster a relationship with a Scholar
What is the commitment?
• Mentor a high school senior that is going off to college and throughout their time obtaining a post-secondary degree (4-5 year commitment)
• Complete a 1-hr, in person interview with the Mentor Program Director
• Participate in a training session
• In fall of your Scholar’s senior year of high school, attend Mentor-Scholar Match event to meet your Scholar
• In March of your Scholar’s senior year of high school, attend a College Readiness Training with your Scholar
• Communicate with the Scholar at least twice a month (phone, text, email, skype, meeting, etc.)
• Hold face-to-face interactions with the Scholar a minimum of once per quarter, if possible
•Provide feedback, as requested, to Palmer Scholars regarding your relationship with your Scholar
• As you choose, participate in additional events and activities hosted by Palmer Scholars!
Please contact Mentor Program Director, Tiffany Williams, with any questions and/or for further details:email@example.com